Google has officially announced three of its 2020 smartphones – Google Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5. Unfortunately, only the Pixel 4a is available for pre-order. Presently, you can pre-order this device from Amazon, Google Store, and Best Buy. It is currently selling for $349 and will start shipping from August 20th. However, you may have to pay up to $389 if you need the fabric case. The Google Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 will be available this fall. Thus, their full specification is not public yet. Nevertheless, the Google Pixel 4a is already public and the full specification is available.
Google Pixel 4a specifications
- 5.81-inch (1080 x 2340 pixels) FHD+ OLED 18.5:9 display, 443 PPI, HDR support, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Octa-Core (2.2GHz Dual + 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 730G Mobile Platform with Adreno 618 GPU, Titan M security chip
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Android 10
- 12.2MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, LED flash, Dual PD autofocus, OIS, EIS, 4K video recording at 30fps, 1080p at up to 120fps and 720p at up to 240fps
- 8MP front camera with 84° ultra-wide lens, f/2.0 aperture
- Dual SIM (Single Nano-SIM + eSIM)
- Fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, 2 microphones
- Dimensions: 144x 69.4 x 8.2mm; Weight: 143g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2x2MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.1 LE, GPS, USB Type-C Gen 1, NFC
- 3140mAh battery with 18W fast charging
The Google Pixel 4a comes with a 5.81-inch OLED display with a 2340 x 1080 pixels FHD+ resolution and 19.5:9 aspect ratio. This punch-hole display supports only a 60Hz refresh rate. This is the first Google smartphone to use a punch-hole design.
Looking at the camera side, it uses a single 12.2MP Sony IMX363 rear sensor. This camera supports an f/1.7 aperture lens, 1.4µm pixel size, and a 77° field-of-view. It also supports Dual Pixel Phase Detection, OIS, and EIS. On the front, we have an 8MP Sony IMX355 sensor. This sensor comes with an f/2.0 aperture, 84° FOV, and EIS support. This device can deliver 1080p resolution at 120fps slow-motion videos as well as 4K resolution at 30fps. To make the camera even better, Google adds Live HDR+, dual exposure controls, Night Sight with astrophotography, Social Share, Portrait Mode, and Super Res Zoom.
Under the hood, we have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G. In addition, this device comes with 6GB LPDDR4X RAM and 128GB UFS 2.1 storage. For power, it has a 3,140 mAh battery that supports 18W fast charge. This is nothing spectacular in today’s smartphone world. The Google Pixel 4a will run on Android 10 OS out-of-the-box. However, this device will get three major updates up to Android 13. It will also get consistent monthly updates for three years.
Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 5G
The Pixel 4a 5G will cost $499 and also ship sometime this fall. This will also be the fate of the Google Pixel 5. These smartphones support 5G and will be available in the US, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, and Australia. The Google Pixel 5 will run on Android 11 out-of-the-box but will still use a rear fingerprint sensor. Furthermore, there are reports that this smartphone will not use a flagship processor.