With the launch of the Google Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, the search giant is taking a different path from the regular flagship phones. Rather than offering the best possible hardware for performance, the company keeps betting on the Pixel series’ major highlight – the camera. For years, the lineup has been focusing on the camera department, and that pays off! The Pixel smartphones don’t have the most advanced hardware in the world, but they still deliver some of the best photographs in the smartphone scene. Much of that is thanks to the Google Camera, the so-called GCam, and the algorithms behind it. Through this article, we’ll teach you how to install the latest GCam 8.7 on your Android smartphone.
Not everyone wants, or maybe can’t, get the latest Pixel smartphone. However, a lot of users would love to get the same camera quality as these phones. Since most of the magic is made through the “software”, this is possible with the GCam mod. With the release of the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro, a brand new GCam 8.7 arrived. Thanks to talented developers, this mod is now available for a lot of devices.
Maybe you own a modest phone from Samsung, Xiaomi, Redmi, Motorola, and others. You just want to get a test of the image quality offered by Pixel phones. That is possible thanks to the GCam community. It’s one of the largest communities in the Android scene. There are countless mods coming from talented developers that work on a daily basis to bring the magic of Pixel devices to as many devices as possible. The latest port from developer BSG brings the GCam 8.7 to a lot of Android phones.
Worth noting that the GCam 8.7 has been specially developed for phones with Android 13. The list of Android 13 phones is still short, so how can you enjoy this mod? Well, the story does not end here. The modder brought it to work with devices running Android 11 or above. Now the list gets bigger right? There are many new features with GCam 8.7. For instance, we have new animations when you change from photo mode to video mode. There is also a new slideable control for zoom, an Auto Macro button, and many other features.
Gizchina News of the week
The GCam 8.7 also brings a new gap of 3 to 6 seconds in the Night Mode. There is a new Cinematic Video Recording Mode, NightVision, and more. Some exclusive Pixel 7 features like Magic Eraser, Real Tone, and Cinematic Blur are still not available. But the development of GCam 8.7 has just begun. As a result, these features may arrive in the near future. You can check all the changes and notes with the update below:
BSG public version changelog (8.7.165 from 2022/12/10):
– Fixed a bug causing long switching between modes.
– added support for “Material theme” (“mn_enabled” in developer options).
– fixed a bug with saving selfies in the same orientation as on the preview, in photo and night modes.
– Added “Developer settings” to settings.
– added to the modification settings: “Interface”, divided into modules: “Model”, “Google_ID of the module”, “Preview format”, “Session ID” (for photo modes), and “Black level”.
– Fixed work on some devices.
– Found errors in the work of the modification have been fixed.
Now, without further ado, let’s see how to Download and Install GCam 8.7 on your Android phone.
How to Install GCam 8.7
Download GCam 8.7 APK
- Download and Install the APK provided in the link above.
- To install you may need to allow installation from “Unknown Sources” depending on your browser. Don’t worry, the file is safe and verified.
- Open the Google Camera once the installation is completed. An icon will also appear on your Home Screen or App Drawer.
- If you Run old Android versions, you can try your luck in the CelsoAzevedos’s Repository. It is the place to go if you want to dive into the world of Google Camera mods.
Once the Installation is complete, you’ll need to check if everything is working fine on your phone. If not, you will probably need to wait for future versions. Or perhaps, you can try an older version of the mod. For the GCam 8.7, this is just the beginning. More versions will arrive in the near future.
Worth noting, that in the past, developers had figured out how to bring exclusive Pixel features to more phones. As a result, we believe that it is just a matter of time until some features reach the Gcam mod. Anyway, don’t expect all the smoothness of Pixel features in some features. After all, Google has dedicated hardware for certain Image Processing tasks. Anyway, it’s surprising to see cheap phones like a Redmi Note, or POCO X3 running all the Pixel 7 camera features without hassle.
Disclaimer: The APK comes from Gcam Modder BSG. You can refer to this link for the Telegram Support Group. The version may carry some initial bugs and issues. All the credits go to the developers and his respective partners.