A stolen or lost cell phone is hard to get back. Even with an array of methods at hand, finding a stolen or lost phone seems highly unlikely. The Indian govt has now taken steps to make the process much easier. The govt has developed a useful website for people to monitor their stolen or lost mobile phones. The Centre for Department of Telematics (CDoT) developed the new tool, which is known as the Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) system. In addition to helping you in finding your lost mobile phone, CEIR also allows you to block the mobile phone if need be.
When a mobile phone gets missing or is stolen, it is usually a terrible situation. This is even worse for those whose phone contains so much info including financial info. Although there are several ways of protecting and tracking phones when they are missing, there is a need for more options.
The Northeast, Delhi, Maharashtra, and Karnataka are a few of the states where CEIR has been under pilot testing by CDoT. As of May 17, the system will be used across India. According to the CEIR website, as part of the pilot system, 243,404 mobile phones have been tracked and 479,511 mobile phones are said to have been blocked.
How does the CEIR system system work?
In order to assist people in finding and blocking their stolen or lost phones, CEIR was created. Every phone has its own ID number known as the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity). It is this ID number that the system uses. You must enter your phone’s IMEI number into the CEIR portal if it has been lost.
Furthermore, CEIR has the ability to shut down your lost or stolen phone, making it useless across all Indian cellular carriers. Your phone will automatically produce traceability if someone tries to use it after it has been blocked. Once you find your phone again, you may always unblock it via the site. Also, the cops can still trace your phone even if it is blocked. However, it is good to note that it takes a little while to go through the process of blocking your phone.
Gizchina News of the week
Steps to report/track/block your lost/stolen mobile phone
- You must first obtain a digital copy of the police report and declare the mobile device as stolen or lost.
- When you submit the request to block your phone, an OTP is vital. Thus you will need to buy a second SIM card for the lost number.
- After that, you can fill out the paperwork to block your phone by going to the site. The form needs details about the phone, the invoice, the police report, and identity verification.
- When you submit the form, you will receive a Request ID that you may use to track the progress of your request and later unblock it.
Phone Theft in India: A Growing Concern
In recent years, India has witnessed a huge rise in cybercrime, including phone theft. With the rise of mobile phones and the internet, phone theft has become a growing concern in India. This is one of several reasons why the Indian govt developed the new tool. The tool is intended to help curb the growing concerns about phone theft in the country.
Phone Theft in India
There are a couple of statistics about phone theft in India which is quite worrisome. For instance, IndianExpress reports that in Mumbai alone, an average of 134 phones were lost or stolen every day in 2021. According to IndiaToday, in November 2022, more than 40 high-end mobile phones were stolen during DJ Snake‘s concert in Mumbai. Wionews reports that some of the mobile phones stolen from Mumbai are sold in neighbouring countries like Nepal and Bangladesh. Phone theft is a serious cybercrime because the thief can then use the phone to make unauthorized calls, send messages, or access personal info stored on the device.
Preventing Phone Theft
Before the new steps taken by the Indian govt, there have been many anti – phone theft measures either by mobile phone brands or by the govt. Preventing phone theft is essential to protect personal info and prevent financial loss. Here are some measures that can be taken to prevent phone theft:
- Use a Password: Always use a password to lock your phone. This will prevent unauthorized access to your phone and protect your personal information.
- Install a Tracking App. Install a tracking app on your phone that can help you locate your phone in case it gets stolen.
- Be Careful in Public Places: Be careful when using your phone in public places. Avoid using your phone in crowded areas where it can be easily snatched.
- Report Theft: In case your phone gets stolen, report it to the police immediately. This will increase the chances of recovering your phone and catching the thief.
The new CEIR portal should be a big sigh of relief for many Indians because it is an additional layer of protection for Indians. The portal is now active, we will have to wait a few more weeks to see how effective it is. Phone theft is a growing concern in India, and it is essential to take measures to prevent it. By using the new CEIR system, a password, installing a tracking app, being careful in public places, and reporting theft, we can protect our personal info and prevent financial loss. It is also important for the govt to take steps to prevent cybercrime and ensure the safety of its citizens.