Today, TrendForce released a report saying that this year’s Apple’s new phones will account for about 39% of the total production. All systems will be equipped with 5G communication modules, which will further promote Apple’s 5G mobile phones. The proportion of production increases from 39% last year to 75%. According to TrendForce, the performance of the iPhone 12 mini is not as good as expected. To this end, the device reached the end of production (EOL) ahead of schedule in the second quarter of this year. Furthermore, Apple will not place much emphasis on the iPhone 13 mini. The company will concentrate on iPhone 13, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max.
There have been reports that Apple will discontinue the mini-series. The iPhone 12 mini did not encourage the company to continue the series. The iPhone 12 mini is a small display device that has its niche. However, it appears that everyone is now preferring larger displays which is making the iPhone 12 mini unattractive.
Apple will upgrade the processor, display, memory, lens, and other key components in the iPhone 13. This new Apple series will use the Bionic A15 processor which uses TSMC’s 5nm+ process. It will also come with a flexible AMOLED screen with On-cell Touch technology. The two Pro series will support up to 120Hz refresh rate. This is the first time that an Apple device will support more than a 60Hz refresh rate. In terms of cameras, TrendForce predicts that the main cameras of the four new models will add the sensor-shift optical image stabilization function. Among them, the ultra-wide-angle lens of the Pro series will be upgraded to 6P and also include autofocus (AF) function.
Apple iPhone 12 mini specifications
- 5.4-inch (2340×1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.4mm
- Weight: 133grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours of video playback