Today, Lu Weibing, president of Xiaomi Group China and general manager of Redmi brand, issued a post reviewing the classic model of the Redmi Note series – Redmi Note 8 Pro. This two-year-old smartphone is the first quad rear model in the Redmi Note series. Furthermore, this device is the world’s first smartphone with a MediaTek Helio G90T chip. According to Lu Weibing, the main reason why Redmi chose the MediaTek G90T is that this processor allows Redmi to create a gaming phone with sufficient performance in the thousand yuan price range. The thousand yuan price range means that it costs between 1000 yuan ($155) and 1999 yuan ($310).
The Redmi Note 8 Pro is one of the most popular smartphones in the Note series. The MediaTek G90T uses a 12nm process, has two large cores (2.05GHz) and six small A55 cores (2.0GHz). This chip comes with the same A76 architecture as the Kirin 980. It also comes with a Mali G76 GPU and supports a 90Hz screen refresh rate.
The Redmi Note 8 Pro uses a 4500 mAh super-capacity battery as well as a liquid cooling system. The liquid cooling technology was not so popular at the time. Also, the 4500 mAh battery as of 2018 was quite massive. This combination releases the full performance of the smartphone such that there is no overheating.
Today, Lu Weibing has been reviewing previous Redmi best performers. This suggests that the company is about to unveil a new Note series. We expect an official announcement from Redmi in the coming days or weeks.
Redmi Note 8 Pro specifications
- 6.53-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core MediaTek Helio G90T 12nm processor (Dual 2.05GHz A76 + Hexa 2GHz A55 CPUs) with 800MHz Mali-G76 3EEMC4 GPU
- 6GB LPPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 6GB / 8GB (LPPDDR4x) RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10, upgradable to MIUI 11
- 64MP rear camera with 1/1.72″ Samsung GW1 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, LED flash, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide-angle lens with 1.12μm pixel size, 2MP depth sensor and 2MP camera for 2cm macro with 1.75μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- 20MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor, IR sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Built-in Alexa with a dual wake word
- Splash resistant (IP52)
- Dimensions: 161.37×76.4×8.79mm; Weight: 199.8g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with 18W fast charging