Last month, HMD Global announced that it will hold a pre-MWC event on February 23 in Barcelona, Spain, where it is expected to unveil a couple of new phones. Today, the manufacturer has announced that it has canceled its plans to attend MWC 2020.
HMD Global is the latest among manufacturers to announce it will no longer be attending one of the world’s biggest technology events. Its announcement comes in the wake of Sony, LG, NVIDIA, Amazon, Vivo, Intel, and MediaTek’s announcements to not attend the event which is scheduled to begin on February 24 and end on February 27.
The health and safety of our employees, partners, customers, and media is our first priority. With that in mind, we are making the prudent choice to cancel our participation at #MWC20. https://t.co/eH3gelws19
— Nokia Mobile (@NokiaMobile) February 12, 2020
The press statement put up on their official website says the decision was made after much deliberation and careful monitoring of the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak. HMD Global said that the health and safety of its employees, partners, customers, and media is its first priority hence the reason for canceling its participation at MWC 2020.
The press release also stated that they will update their partners and customers on a new timeline for the launch of its products.
It has been reported that the GSMA will make a decision this Friday to determine if this year’s MWC will be canceled. The organization overseeing the event may decide to go on but introduce extra measures to protect attendees.