Nothing good lasts forever and this is the situation with system updates for smartphones. It only takes about two or three years for a flagship device to go obsolete. This is a result of the high rate of innovation in the smartphone industry. In time past, Samsung only releases two major Android updates for its smartphones. However, a recent announcement shows that the company will now release three major updates. Nevertheless, the company is already done with many of its flagships. The Samsung Galaxy S8 series is one of them.
Back in March 2017, Samsung launched the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ with Android 7 (Nougat). These smartphones subsequently got the Android 8 (Oreo) and Android 9 (Pie) updates. With this, they have two major updates and Samsung did not release Android 10 for these devices, not officially anyway.
Presently, these smartphones have been around for four years. This means that they have exceeded their limit for any sort of update. Last year, Samsung announced that the Galaxy S8 series will no longer get monthly updates. These smartphones were moved to the list of devices for quarterly updates. After another year, Samsung finally stopped the maintenance plan that had lasted for 4 years.
In the latest support list, Samsung officially removed the Galaxy S8 series from the list. This means that this generation of flagships will no longer receive system updates. The 2017 Galaxy S8 series comes with a 10nm process Snapdragon 835 and Exynos 8895 processors. This series expunged the iconic Home button and there are two versions, 5.8 inches, and 6.2 inches. These devices hit the market in multiple colours including Mystery Night Black, Silver, Smoky Crystal Grey, Blue, and Gold.
In addition, the Samsung Galaxy S9 series will also be transferred to the quarterly cycle update list in April 2022. It’s been a long time and many may have forgotten what the specs of the Galaxy S8 series looked like. Here is a reminder
Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ specifications
- S8 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S8+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor with Mali-G71 MP20 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture, 1/2.55″ sensor size, OIS, 1.4µm pixel size
- 8MP auto focus front-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture, 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, 80-degree wide-angle lens
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Ultra High Quality Audio Playback – PCM: Up to 32 bits; DSD: DSD64/128
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- S8 – Dimensions: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm; Weight: 152g
- S8+ – Dimensions: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1mm; Weight: 173g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- S8 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S8+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging