Sony missed the MWC 2021 exhibition and did not present the new generation of flagships. It was decided to hold a separate event that will take place on April 14th. The upcoming event was officially announced today by the company itself, having published an announcement on its pages on social networks.
By tradition, Sony does not name the products, for the sake of the announcement of which it collects the event. We assume that the event will feature the Sony Xperia 1 III, Xperia 10 III and Xperia 5 III. The Sony Xperia 1 III will be the company’s new flagship and will feature a 6.5-inch 4K OLED screen with a 21:9 aspect ratio and 120Hz refresh rate, Snapdragon 888 SoC, up to 12GB of RAM and flash storage capacity up to 256 GB. They promise a 5000 mAh battery with fast 65-watt charging and a multi-module rear camera with a 64-megapixel main sensor, as well as an ultra-wide 12 megapixel. The price tag for the Sony Xperia 1 III could be $1,369.
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the previous generation Xperia 1 model:
Sony Xperia 1 II specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut; X1 for mobile, Motion Blur Reduction, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 256GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 10
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.55″ 135° ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 34° telephoto lens, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 3x optical zoom, 960 fps Super slow motion, 3D iToF sensor
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speaker, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 166 × 72 × 7.9mm; Weight: 181g
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
- 5G (sub-6GHz) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 4000mAh Battery with 21W USB-PD fast charging, Qi Wireless charging
There is no word on the specs of the Xperia 5 III; but we expect it to be a more compact version of the rumored flagship Xperia 1 III with lower specs. As for the Xperia 10 III, at the beginning of the year, renders of a smartphone appeared on the network, in the design of which continuity with its predecessor is visible.